So, for my favorite eggnog drink recipe, it is pretty basic.
3 parts eggnog (store bought non-alcoholic eggnog)
1 part Captain Morgan Spice Rum
Mix ingredients together thoroughly. Drink and enjoy.
However, if you want to get serious, you can make your own homemade eggnog. This one, I picked up from About.com. It makes about 16 drinks and the prep time is about 25 minutes.
Ingredients you will need:
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup super fine sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups brandy
- 1 cup milk
- Nutmeg (use for garnish also)
- Beat egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, nutmeg, salt and vanilla together until very thick and light yellow.
- Slowly beat in brandy (rum and whiskey are also popular alternatives) and milk.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Shortly before serving, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beat this mixture to soft peaks again, creating a meringue-like cream.
- Then slowly pour this cream over the chilled brandy mixture, folding in gently.
- Serve the eggnog in a mug or punch cup and grate nutmeg over the top for garnish.
Visit SeriousEats.com for a dozen ways to upgrade your eggnog. Those folks have a lot of great ideas!